We all need that push to do what we don’t want to do or feel like doing. So, I have learned I have to trick myself.
5 Areas I’ve Trick Myself
- “I should really start reading that book.” The Trick: Just read the first 3 pages. You’ll most likely read a few pages more.
- “I’ve got to lose weight.” The Trick: Give yourself a 5lb Challenge. The hardest part about diets is starting & such a small goal like 5lbs is attainable. It’s not stressful feeling either. *I tried this with my sister and she lost 15lbs!
- “I don’t know if this ‘change’ is going to work.” The Trick: Tell yourself you will give it a year. Or 6 months. By saying this, you give yourself permission to relax and try “it” out. You don’t feel boxed in because you know you can change it in the near future.
- “I should stop looking at my Facebook, Twitter & Instagram so much.” The Trick: Remove the bookmark from your computer or sign out of each of the apps. Now it takes 2-3 steps to open them up so you check them significantly less times. Since making these changes, I check them 70% less than I used to. It’s just so darn easy to press those buttons several times an hour.
- “I need to get up earlier.” The Trick: Set your alarm for 10 minutes earlier. Do this for a week. Then up it in 5 minutes increments weekly till you get to the ideal time you want to get up.
We are lazy and knowing this is most of the battle. So I find that tricking myself helps me be a little less lazy and more brave to try new things or just do what I need to. And over time, we change ourselves for the better.
photo: unsplash:Chris Lawton